I've been responding to ads on Craigslist in preparation for my move to Berkeley. I am so fascinated by how people live and where they live and who they are.
(Side note: I'm also judging people & houses by the way they write their ads. It's really hard not to.)
Here some things I really like:
Ads with photos are the best
Complete sentences or bullet points
ALOT of details on the house and the roommates
Ads with photos are the best
Complete sentences or bullet points
ALOT of details on the house and the roommates
Map links to Google
The idea of "cooperatives"
Some of the people I've corresponded with sound so wonderful. I love the simplicity of some of the rooms I've seen. One man and I talked for an 1 hour & 40 minutes tonight (this room might be "the one")- he's lived in Berkeley for 20 years and was telling me all about the climate and transit and history. One girl in a group house of 4 females said they all like to dance in the living room, would I? One "collective" is all gay & trans-gendered folks- would I be a "safe" person for their comfortable haven?
People are just so fabulous, even in their rawest, grossest states. I really feel the goodness that is inside everyone so much lately.
Yesterday I was with my aunt in Richmond, VA. We went to 2 different church services. Here's the jist:
First, a Quaker church. SO awesome! We arrived 10 minutes early, sat in a pew and meditated. Then, several people arrived, they also sat in silence. When an hour passed we all stood up and left. NO TALKING! It was really beautiful.
Second, a Unity church. This are the folks that say "Chris-consciousness" and talk about God being on the inside (not in the sky waving an angry finger). There was hugging, a short teaching *quoting HH Dalai Lama* on empathy and "Being the Change" that you want to see in the world, and then this video: http://www.blueribbonmovie.com/
Then, they passed out these blue ribbons for us to give to someone. I'm waiting to give mine to someone. I really want to give it to someone in my family, but I think I'll give it to someone that works at my Grandma's nursing home. I go there every Friday for lunch and the employees are so amazing.
Anyways, Unity church was high energy and a lot of love- it was awesome and SO different from other church experiences I've had.
Today I feel very grateful to be right here.
No comments:
Post a Comment