Here's a photo from last week. One of my friends asked me to send a recent photo and I realized, I haven't seen some of you in almost a year!
I'm teaching at Washington Baptist University, again, where I taught before I left for India.
Last Wednesday I started teaching a 5-week English course on "Life Skills in America." It's great! I have complete freedom and no text book. I am only teaching 3 mornings a week, but that gives me time to prepare for my next move...
Which is:
1. I am moving to Berkeley, CA. My teacher, Anam Thubten Rinpoche has a center near there. I'm going to continue studying Tibetan language with him, so I can be a translator (spoken & written).
2. I have been applying to teaching fellowships in Oakland, CA (low economic area with "high-need" schools)- I would get CA teaching certification while working as a teacher
3. I want to teach elementary school (maybe special ed)
4. If I have to take a middle school or high school job I might
5. I have to take 2 tests in CA before I can start teaching there. One test I can take at a center in VA, one I can't.
6. SO- I am going to visit the Bay area on May 15th (the test is on the 16th, but I'm working up until the morning of the 15th). I don't know how long I will stay. I have one possible job interview (will no for sure tomorrow).
7. I do not plan on buying a car.
8. I do plan on buying a bicycle and riding public transit.
9. I plan to rent a cheap room, no frills, and live like I would in India.
10. I have too many clothes and books and pray I have the courage to get rid of a lot of them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Also*
I went to the Tibet Store (http://www.yelp.com/biz/tibet-shop-washington) in Adams Morgan, DC, yesterday to find a conversation partner. I did! I will start meeting with Tashi Drolma this week! She's super cute and nice and it was really fun to speak in Tibetan with her and her husband!
I am surprised at how normal it has been being back in the States. I thought I might totally flip-out once I came back here, but I've only had a few moments wishing I was back in India. Before I left, I decided that I would accept wherever I was for being their own, unique place and try not to compare the two. So far, it's been wonderful. I drove to Winchester, VA yesterday to visit Genevieve. It's so beautiful. I found myself welling up with tears just admiring how green the countryside is, the trees just starting to bud, the healthy cows and horses grazing...
No comments:
Post a Comment