Friday, December 11, 2009

Living the "Kind Life"

It's been a long time since I read a book that really affected me. I'd say there have been a few in my life that truly have, BUT, never has one of them been a COOKBOOK! It's strange to think about, but truly, I am a changed woman!

The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone (yes, the actress from the movie, Clueless) has met all the dietary fantasies that I've had for the past 6 months. It has vegan recipes. It has macrobiotic recipes. It has desserts. The first third of the book about her journey to veganism and being macrobiotic, living green, eating compassionately....it really motivated me. She even talks about meditation!

I was so intimidated to really try & go vegan. I was petrified to try macrobiotic food. And, I certainly haven't been a regular cook (hello microwave = bff). This book has been the kick in the pants that I have been praying for! The best thing is that there is a forum on her website for people to discuss recipes, grocery shopping eco-tips, etc...there's a community to dip into if I'm feeling alone. Of course, my roommate and friends aren't exactly complaining that I'm cooking more! I can't eat all this food alone! I'm getting to know my way around a kitchen and really enjoying myself. :)

No comments: