Another amazing day here. AGAIN- I cannot express my gratitude for this experience.
We hiked up to see some waterfalls today. There is an American tour group staying at Deer Park this week, 7 people in total, but only 4 came on the hike. We went with some of the young Deer Park staff and 1 other guest. I think it was about 12 of us....anyways, we headed STRAIGHT up the mountain behind Deer Park. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get there, but it was really nice to get out on a warm, clear day and move. Once we arrived, it was breathtaking.
We monkeyed our way up to the top of a huge boulder, which was sitting on top of a pretty decent sized fall. I sat and meditated for awhile while people waded in the (very) cold water. I had the sun warming my face the rushing sound of the falls washing away all my thoughts. I cried. I was just so completely overwhelmed with gratitude for that moment and for this experience in general.
When we walked back, we came over the crest of a hill and, low and behold, there were about a hundred goats and sheep with 2 herders!!! They were crossing the river and heading back towards the same direction we were. Some of the boys helped them, literally, TOSS the baby goats across. I took some photos and will put them up soon! It was so funny and the herders were definitely amused! We walked IN the pack of goats and sheep and really felt like I was being herded back down the mountain. HAHA (don't worry, the goats weren't harmed, despite the fact that they were making the cutest crying sounds!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I finished studying the Madhyamakavatara text (that has consumed my last 5 weeks). It was such a wonderful feeling leaving the library yesterday!
We also started a new class yesterday morning. This one is only 1 week long. It's about a text called "Elegant Sayings" by a very famous Tibetan master, Sakya Pandita. The Khenpo (a title which is the Tibetan equivalent to PhD) teaching the class is quite young and he tells really great stories to metaphorically explain these sayings. He is also encouraging us to ask questions the 2nd half of the class, so I came prepared with a list today. It's an amazing opportunity! I also ate lunch with him yesterday and today and he was teaching so much all the while! He speaks pretty good English, a true blessing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My plans to go study Tibetan in Dehra Dun (about 12 hours from here) are confirmed! I am enrolled in a beginner course at Songtsen Library (http://www.songtsen-library.org/).
It's a 3 month course, but I can leave whenever I want, so at the moment I'm planning to stay until January and then travel....
The Library is located by Drikung Monastery (http://www.drikung-kagyu.org/)- where the head of the Drikung Kagyu lineage of Tibetan buddhism lives, HH Drikung Kyabgon Chetsang. It's an amazing place to live and study Tibetan. I have also been introduced (via email) to a young American , Meghan, who works as a translator there. I am excited to meet her in person. I heard about her this summer at a retreat in Rochester, NY (where she's from).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am also thinking of doing a "Peace Walk" at the end of January. It's from Lumbini, Nepal to Saraswati, India- 2 holy places in buddhist and hindu history. It's scheduled over a 10 day period with food and guest houses already planned. I'm waiting to get more information on it and we'll see where I am (I'm planning on being in Nepal the last 2 weeks of Jan. already). There is a 1 month Tibetan course here, at Deer Park, starting Feb 9th- so it would be a great way to travel back towards here! In the past it was a combination of Indian and Korean college-aged kids, so it would be a high-engery walk! I'll keep you posted....
LOVE!!!!
xoxoxo
1 comment:
Dhauladhar Goat Toss!!!!
Post a Comment